Timber Hill
Restoration Coalition
Timber Hill images of Timber Hill
Mildred S. and Earl Van Horn Thompson donated Camp Timber Hill to Great Rivers Girl Scout Council in 1949. Girl Scouts used the 57 acre wooded tract for overnight, weekend and summer day camps for nearly 50 years.
Great Rivers Girl Scout Council sold the campground to the Butler County Transportation Improvement District (TID) in October 2005. In turn, the Butler County TID swapped the property with Butler County MetroParks in exchange for a small portion of the Voice of America Park. Under the watchful eye of the National Park Service (previous owners of the Voice of America), a land trade took place. MetroParks of Butler County, through the Federal Lands to Parks Program, soon acquired Camp Timber Hill.
The Timber Hill Reservable Area at Rentschler Forest Preserve is the only public camping facility in Butler County dedicated exclusively to organized youth groups. Because of the Federal Lands to Parks exchange, this property must be used for public park and recreational use in perpetuity. Timber Hill will serve as an outdoor venue where young people will have the opportunity to develop independence, respect, self-confidence, leadership, teamwork, and an appreciation of the natural world for many years to come.
TRC